Out-of-town guests will stay at the Holiday Inn Arlington at Ballston.
Getting to GMU Arlington
The classroom portion of the institute will be on George Mason University’s Arlington campus in Hazel Hall Room 224. The room is in the law school building. Click here for a campus map. It is approximately 1 mile from the hotel.
You may walk, bike, or ride the the Arlington County bus. There is also is a free hotel shuttle to the Ballston Metro station on the Orange and Silver lines, from which you may ride one stop to the Virginia Square-GMU station.
- Arlington Transit Buses (ART)
- Taking Metro (subway)
- Capital BikeShare stations are available at the GMU Arlington campus, and a short walk from the hotel.
On campus, the Einsteins Brothers Bagels is open 8am-7:30pm Monday – Thursday, and 8am – 3pm on Friday.
Also on campus is a free yoga class Wednesday, 12-1pm. Read more: http://newsdesk.gmu.edu/2014/07/yoga-classes-facultystaffstudents-arlington-campus/
There are a number of options off-campus. There are many restaurants along Wilson and Clarendon Boulevard near the Clarendon Metro station, less than a third of a mile from campus. There following dining options are within 3 blocks of campus:
- Liberty Tavern, 3195 Wilson Blvd. Sit down and take away “new American.”
- Northside Social, 3211 Wilson Blvd. Coffeeshop, cafe, and wine bar.
- Silver Diner, 3200 Wilson Blvd. American diner food.
- El Pollo Rico, 932 N. Kenmore St. Peruvian chicken.
- Z Burger, 3325 Wilson Blvd.
- Cosi, 3503 N. Fairfax Dr. Pizzas and sandwiches.
- 7-Eleven, 3503 N. Fairfax Dr.
- Starbucks, 901 N. Nelson St.
- Metro Cafe and Gourmet, 901 N. Nelson St. Deli sandwiches and specialty grocery
- Rocklands Barbeque and Grilling Company, 3471 Washington Blvd.
- Mala Tang, 3434 Washington Blvd. Sichuan hot pot, Asian fusion.
- Giant, 3450 Washington Blvd. Grocery
Evenings and Weekends
- Arlington County Fair August 6-10, Thomas Jefferson Community Center. Shuttles every 30 minutes from Ballston Metro station, $2 for a round trip.
- Arlington Farmer’s Market, Saturdays from 8 am to noon near the Arlington County Courthouse Parking Lot (Courthouse Metro, Orange and Silver lines).
- Ballston Farmers Market, Thursdays 3 to 7pm,Welburn Square (901 North Taylor St).
- Clarendon Farmers’ Market, at the metro plaza, Wednesdays, 3-7pm
- Free in DC blog with updated listings, or follow @FreeinDCBlog on twitter
- The BIG Maze and other events at the National Building Museum in DC.
- DCist, for news and events in and about DC.
- The Museums section of the Washington Post Going Out Guide.
- Reading room tours at the Folger Shakespeare Library (registration required, Saturdays only).
- The National Mall, home to museums, monuments, and the U.S. Botanical Gardens. Use Histories of the National Mall on your phone to enhance your visit.
DC Food blogs
Because there is really good food in DC.
Quick Reference Map
View Doing Digital History in a larger map